Thursday, January 1, 2015

Boss said...

Yea, the boss said put something on the sign.  So I did, sort of.  It’s a new year, there should be something on the sign to mark the departure of 2014 and the arrival of 2015.  

What’s to say about the year just passed?  Well, it passed.  Slid off into the abyss of history while other operations, internal operations, were underway.  For me 2014 stands  as evidence in support of the assertion that when one sets about extricating and evicting the consequences of some major unhappiness from your life there’s a lot of prep work to be done before you call the guys with the dynamite and bulldozers.  Before you get to the stage of the game where the six horse hitch of D6 start taking tension on the chains waiting for someone to scream “fire in the hole!!!” you have to have made preparations to support what’s going to be left hanging over the hole when the whatever it was is gone. 

That’s what 2014 was for me, a year of carefully excavating around the edges of what 2013 revealed, a year of measuring and assessing and designing the scaffoldings, a year of experimenting with various quick set mixtures and building the forms to pour permanent columns beneath the load, working up the plans for how to fill the space between the columns with things of satisfaction and delight rather than fear and loathing clothed in lethal rage. 

For a year I’ve given thought to those in my life who’s lives are entangled with mine, those whose lives will be impacted, doing my best to set them gently on their feet well clear of the blast zone well before things get interesting.  Amazing, how the chains of causality twist around when you start really looking at things, amazing how much responsibility we all carry for the lives closest to our own.  Their lives have been influenced by mine over the years, they’ll have things hanging over that hole as well, it isn’t fair to pull without making as sure as possible nothing of theirs falls in either.  I wish I could do more, but then again it is their life, not mine, and they’ve had as much warning as I did.

What will 2015 turn into?  Not a clue. For all I know by the end of year I may be a homeless snowbird touring the land looking for someplace to settle, looking for someplace, someone, that truly feels like home.  If so?  So be it.  The what was is nothing but a glide slope to a grave, no reason to stay here  (cue up the song Wanderin’ Star from the movie “Paint Your Wagon”… yea, me and Ben Rumson…).  This town is way to contaminated for me to ever trust it, never again.  So, what’s left to say about 2014 going on 2015?  Not much, just four words:

!!!FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!


6 comments:

  1. you really gonna pull up stakes and leave Oklahoma, 'nos? what direction are you leaning? i'd guess someplace with plenty of elbow room? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just somewhere new Pip, no real clue where. Maybe Kentucky, maybe Nevada, who knows. Just somewhere away from here. This place is dead to me, a Norman Rockwell nightmare so to speak, a facade of decency over every dysfunction of the Bushite establishment entrenched in more than the politics. It would take ten thousand words to write out the full scope of my suspicions concerning this town, there's enough circumstantial evidence to validate (but not prove, of course) probably half of them. It was the wife loved this place, not me. There's nothing here for me, so yea, it's time to move on and leave this place to its' fate.

      They say we get two childhoods, if we live long enough, and that would have to mean two chances at the teens and tweens as well... I'm actually thinking (seriously) of putting a fifth wheel travel trailer behind Brutus (a light load for him, he was built to drag backhoes) and doing some serious sight seeing while I write. For the way I live, for what I do, what I care about? "Care of postmaster" is plenty of address for me.

      Delete
  2. if one can afford it, [which i assume you can], that sounds like a wonderful thing to do, no plans, just go. avoid the snow, and maybe try out lots of places, Southerly for now, maybe more Northerly in late Spring... or not, the options being endless. and, best of all, you're still young enough! a great 2015 it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you ever been to Santa Fe, 'nos? i have. you might really like it there. it's beautiful, friendly, and just progressive enough my daughter lived there for several years, and misses it since coming back East. just a thought... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahah! gotcha! it just ate my comment, but i remembered to 'copy' it - here 'tis again -

    you ever been to Santa Fe, 'nos? i have. you might really like it there. it's beautiful, friendly, and just progressive enough my daughter lived there for several years, and misses it since coming back East. just a thought... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, stop by Denver if you like. Here is a good place to reinvent yourself if that's what you need...

    ReplyDelete