Thursday, October 10, 2013

Life right here in River City...

I went to the bar today.  Went a couple of days ago as well.  That's out of character for me, believe it or not.  Didn't drink much, just a shot of good whiskey (a silent toast to sweet Alex, my true muse… the deeper I get into fighting this perverted bdsm bullshit the more I miss her) and a brew to chase it down.  Primarily went to play pool.  Once upon a time I shot a pretty good stick, thought it might be interesting to find out if anything had survived the years.  Pleased to report that yes, it's still there.  Rusty as all hell, and the eyes have changed with the years, but yea.  Today I actually won a few games against the lower level tournament players warming up for the evening, pulled off a couple of truly good shots.  Felt good it did to snap a hard two rail bank square in, felt good to make the cue ball tap dance.  It felt very good to see the tournament players offer that nod, the one that means "yea, you just might be competition…"  Think it's time to invest in stick of my own.

And no, the poem doesn't have a damn thing to do with anything involved with shooting pool, it's just kind of there for, well, soul candy?  A reminder of why the fight is worth fighting...

Sonnet to Silence

4 comments:

  1. "...love soft made..." "To toast sweet siren's song replayed..." I wish I could make words sing like that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, Alex. you know, 'nos, i never bought the software to play the, what was it, twenty part[?] video she had Selene send. i've preserved all the parts though - maybe someday...

    so, a bit of a pool shark, hey? that doesn't surprise me, my having most of my beer money
    from my twenties having come from dollar games of eight-ball. and, i comported myself very well in the only tournament i ever played in. it was after my divorce that i picked up my old two piece and found that a fifteen year hiatus hadn't hurt a bit. the officials asked me to "pleeese come back next year. you bring real class". i didn't though, because i quit smoking, and had to avoid bars. now that i've moved back to Nashua NH, just down the street from the FAA air traffic control center, i'll have to go to the Boston Billiard Club half way there and see if i can still shoot a bit. have you ever seen anyone shoot with one eye always closed? the distortion in my left eye is pretty bad from what's commonly known as a macular bump.

    the way to become a shot maker? never, but never, play a 'safe'. that also, is 'class'.

    ;) pip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *chuckle* One eye closed? Only me. I've got prosthetic lenses in both eyes where they cleared cataracts, and where they're very close they don't match exactly. Plenty good to live day to day without glasses, but down and dirty and half a millimeter to clear the eight going in the corner pocket? Nope, the mismatch is maddening. So yea, when it's true critical it's calculate the shot, and then close the appropriate eye (one being just a bit more far sighted than the other).

      Safe? What's that? I'll call a shot, and often call the odds... one in ten, one in a hundred... it was missing a one in a hundred by half an inch got me noticed by a reigning champion, earned me that nod.

      You know Pip, I never burned that DVD to disc either, it's still riding my hard drive. Thanks for reminding me, now that thumb drives are huge and cheap think I'll make a back-up copy. I viewed it, using a Nero trial program, but since I didn't have a burner never bought the software. It would just be for those who never met her anyway, her image is burned so deep in my memory. *( 'nos goes foggy distant watching her dance some Blackmore's... clean passion in a corrupted world, good woman warm among the ice queens... sighs, drains the coffee cup... all things to their season. )* Pip, what's your guess? How many kids now? Three?

      Delete
  3. two max, 'nos. don't forget, their economy is even multiples worse than ours, and Alex is a very savvy lady. i still click on the old LOHD address on occasion, but i guess when it disappeared less than a year ago, it probably was for the last time.

    i backed up the data to a thumbdrive a while back. Nero trial? i'll look into that. damn! there's so much to do...

    ReplyDelete