Monday, August 20, 2012

Once More into the breach...

I know, I know
by CDM.MMXII
A painting a bit off my usual styles (or attempts at style), but fairly pertinent to the news of the moment.  It fits.  I’ve taken on a final labor of love, playing Mr. Mom for my brother and niece, taking on keeping house and coaching homework and driving the taxi runs and... and... and you get the picture.  He’s a single parent running himself ragged trying to earn a living, someone needs to step in as backstop.  What the hell, it’s life where pretty much everything else has run down into shades of slow fade to black.  Truth be told it’s as much for me as for them.

Yea, I can do this.  I kept track of a fifteen, twenty million dollar chemical batch plant for a decade, worked warehouse and receiving and R&D and sundry such related things... how much harder can a kitchen be? (Any mom’s in the audience: keep yer mouth shut, please, I don’t want to know just how cold the water is, I’m already airborne and halfway to the drink...)  It’s still working time figured against batch scale to match load demand and all of it riding a (insert fifteen favorite obscene words) JIT inventory system... yea, I’ve been there before.  But I’d bet serious folding green dear old Mrs. Cleaver never used words like that to describe what she was doing.  I just wish Betty Crocker knew how to write a proper annotated SOP... translating is a, well, just say it bites fleas and barks at the moon.  Oh, well.

Today was the first day of school... dear God, do all those soccer moms actually have a driver’s license?  Judging by the chaos of freaking idiots around that Jr. High I’m not convinced they should be allowed on the road.  Ten minutes of wading the traffic and I was wishing I’d driven the big truck... heavier, more power, and sheet metal I don’t mind bending... I was ready to put some serious push on the pavement to make ‘em move.  Took thirty minutes to make six blocks, and that was just to get to where I could cut to the back streets and make some headway.  What a circus.  Thank goodness the kid will be riding the bus tomorrow.  He (the driver) gets paid to put up with the idiots.  I don’t.  But it does explain why they’re always advertising for drivers.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations and condolences! I did the stepfather thing for a bit, and although my ex always thought I should do more, she also acknowledged that I was much more a father to them than their own father was. It's not an easy job even when you have the "real" parent's full support. Need I say I wish you well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jochanaan... *chuckle* this one's gonna be a challenge.

      Delete