Sunday, August 29, 2010

Pinup's Confession


I found her hanging in a closet in a tiny little apartment I rented for a few months one summer, one of Hef's girls next door, a beautiful brunette lass with deep brown eyes that seem to echo that strange depth you'll find in those who survived growing up faster than they wanted to.  It seemed she was a part of the place, joined to the door by more than the tape and tacks.  Somehow finding her seemed to explain the friendly feel of the little pad, I left her where I'd found her, left her there when I moved on.  As a matter of fact I recall telling her goodbye when I moved on and thanking her for her company.  I don't recall her name, what month she graced, none of that stayed with me.  But those eyes and that soft smile stayed, the feel of her understanding good humor stayed, they'll probably be around for as long as I am. 

I look back on her now and realize there is a real good chance my guardian angel left a bit of a charm tied to her image, arranged for her to be hanging there when I moved in.  I'd just been betrayed pretty badly and was in a terrible frame of mind concerning the distaff side of humanity, drinking way to much and smoking anything that would burn.  Truth be told I needed what she offered, she helped heal me.  I do hope something good happened for her when she was least expecting it. Anyhow, the poem is as close as I can get to what it seemed she was trying to say, if you  simply stood and looked into her eyes and could manage to shut down and shut out the local noise.

2 comments:

  1. aye, that she was... by the years the lass pictured could have been her daughter, except I think they come from different sides of the globe...

    ReplyDelete