Monday, February 15, 2016

It is a custom of my clan…

I don’t have a clan, not really, but if I did it would be a custom of that clan to be clean shaven in the springtime and only cut your hair in mourning.  Since my clan is imaginary I suppose I’m not really lying to anyone if I tell them that, right? 

Not like I really give a damn, it can’t be of much importance to anyone but me.  But I’ve found it a useful thing for myself to make it a point to greet the new spring with a naked face.  Somehow it feels like shedding all the hibernation dreams of winter and returning to reality.  At least for a little while, you have to do it for a little while, at least until you’ve used up last year’s razor blades.

Not that I’m all that fond of reality, I’m really not.  All an excessive focus on reality  generally does is make life boring if not depressing.  Reality is really all the justification needed for the time spent in fantasy, were it not for fantasy reality would be such a terribly mundane prison.  

If I had a clan it would most definitely be a custom of that clan for the men folk and the women folk to maintain a very deliberate separation and distance between each other on some subjects, enough of a veil between the genders that each might portray a focus of fascination to the other, a bridge and a portal between reality and fantasy as it were so that neither state ever achieve such dominance as to damage a life.  For that to work there simply has to be a bit of mystery in the mix.  Thank you for that understanding Ms. Alex, wise sweet woman thank you so very much. 

If I had a clan it would be a custom of that clan to every evening tell each other the most outrageously unbelievable lies possible to concoct from the deeds of the day so that entertainment would never become the domain of some isolated oligarchy of the unreal. Hollywood can’t begin to compete with the comedy value found in ordinary people trying to concoct a bullshit lie outrageous enough to compel their fellows to grin and call it for what it is. Egalitarian entertainment don’t you know, entertainment of the people by the people and for the people.   

If I had a clan… but I don’t.  But if I did somehow I suspect I’d find out Sam Clemens was a senior member of that clan and knew what he was talking about with the whole magnificent source thing.  It has to begin somewhere, and anyway

Sam and I are kindred souls
We see the world the same
And I like he am known to call
“GO SLOW, IT IS MARK TWAIN!”

1 comment:

  1. What is it about beards? Why do so few men in our EuroAmerican culture embrace the hair on their chinny-chin-chin? I feel that my bearded face is just as handsome and expressive as a shaven face. Even now that my beard has turned from brown to gray, I enjoy having it and cannot imagine myself without it. But I'm one of the few...

    ReplyDelete