Monday, March 16, 2015

His name is Herman…

Herman vonViggle Wagon, in full, but that was just a bit of childishness applied in response to the kids asking “what… is that?”  My answer only produced the inevitable next question “what… is a Viggle? Wagon we know, but what is a Viggle?”  My answer was of course, “you’ll just have to wait and see” being as how I really have no earthly idea exactly what constitutes a Viggle either.  He’s been a closet on wheels for years, waaaay to many years, decades in point of fact.  But for Herman like unto myself it’s our turn now.

Technically Herman is a 1974 Type 2 Volkswagen transporter, a good old hippie van from back in the day.  Being as how the bottom line on me is that I’m equally from the line of long haired freaky people from back in the day Herman and I make a good match for each other. 

Like I said, he’s been a closet on wheels for a long time.  And for the most part what was stored in that closet were my dreams, perpetually on hold, perpetually to low a priority to compete for resources against the omnipresent needs  of one or the other of those  I held myself responsible for.  But… those days are gone, the responsibilities have passed on and it is time, Rafiki, it is time.  I suppose it’s fair to say my dreams  evolved to fit the closet they lived in, so since it is my intention to pull up stakes and see a bit of the country it just makes sense to me to restore the closet to mobile rather than try and take my dreams out and repack them into something else. So, soon enough it will be known just what kind of a mechanic I really am, because this is a ground up restoration. 

Ground up?  What’s the first thing you meet going ground up?  Tires and wheels, of course.  Today is wheel day.  Herman is sitting on jack stands so the dry rotted carcasses can come off the rims so the wire brushes on the angle grinder can strip away the rust and dead paint to take a really good look at the steel beneath before the paint and new skins go on.  After that?  Brakes I think, they make disc conversion kits, and four corner disc would be nice, very nice.  As for motive power?  Lemme just say this… it may be a mouse mill compared to the other engines I’ve built, but… itsagonnabe a mighty mouse, yes sir, it will ;-)


2 comments:

  1. Oooooh, a Love Van! :D I await its restoration--and its owner's along with?

    ReplyDelete