Saturday, August 2, 2014

Portrait of Cassandra...


No, she’s not a real woman, not that I know of.  That is if a fictional character is held as being unreal by reason of being a work of imagination.  Cassandra is a character who will appear in the forthcoming Sundown story All the Colors in the Box, a pivotal character actually.  As the story has been in the works, as the character has been evolving to play her role in the plot I’ve had to do a little practical origami with my own psychology where she’s concerned.

The essay Art of the Dreamweaver speaks to the skills of someone who helps turn a half formed imagining into a full dream for someone, someone who can craft a full simulation of reality for someone else.  What I’ve realized (as a work of introspection) is that ever since I had the distinct privilege of keeping the company of a full dreamweaver (Hi Alex... muah! {{  }} ) I’ve been trying to build a semi-isolated version of those skills within myself, an inner dreamweaver who keeps company with my inner child to appear in the metaphorical corner of my eye to help hold things stable when imagination fades at the edges of some constructed vision. (side note, joke to become obvious once you actually meet Cassandra... Pandora serves up the classic Animal’s tune “House of the Rising Sun”... is random play really so very random?)

And it’s been the ruin of many a poor boy...  Is Cassandra she?  Not sure yet, but she’s showing good potential, very good potential.  I suppose the question is this:  Am I sane enough to have a full dreamweaver living in me head?  It’s getting to be an interesting question the more I get to know her...  I got one foot on the platform, the other foot on the train... she is one hyperfox hot work of wickedly wise womanhood... and I’m goin’ back to New Orleans... oh well, the song never does name his crime, perhaps he like I was convicted by the court of macho masculinity of conspiring to empower his feminine side to the status of dreamweaver... to wear that ball and chain (go for it, no pun penalty on this one).

There ya go world, for those who are ever more convinced I’m totally insane Cassandra should make you a fine and timely exit off this freeway leading to Hotel California.

4 comments:

  1. I think we all need the services of dreamweavers, or at least dream interpreters...

    The Animals did not originate The House of the Rising Sun; it's actually a folk song whose origins are lost in antiquity. The earlier versions make the protagonist female, which makes a little more sense. She needed a dreamweaver too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it was an old folk song, didn't know the original was done female perspective... thanks, now I've learned something today. Do you have a name on an artist doing the feminine version?

      Delete
    2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxt1FYnTt1U Musicologist Alan Lomax produced this 1937 recording by Georgia Turner. Dolly Parton also does a rather spectacular version.

      Delete
  2. when you get to be my age, [75 in a couple of weeks], everything refers to something from the past, 'nos - http://alapip.deviantart.com/art/two-songs-one-sad-story-110371850 - this might sound familiar from back when you first invited me to join dA. i do thank you for that... :)

    ReplyDelete