Saturday, January 21, 2017

Norman Rockwell's Nightmare

Purvies Playground by CDM.MMX

A week or so ago I was in Durango, Colorado.  A beautiful place, really, and yet in the same read the most uncomfortable place I've been in a long time.  The part of town I was exposed to felt like I'd fallen into some sci-fi horror movie, some cross-bred love child sired by say Westworld  onto a dam drawn from the robotically policed underground realm seen in A Boy and his Dog.  Seriously, I kept expecting some ancient old man with hellfire reflected in his eye to stop, turn towards me and ask in a grating whisper simply dripping  with menace  "Are you of... the BODY?"   Ok, so you have to know your original series Star Trek to catch the reference, but still.  The place was spooky, it simply reeked of the illusions and delusions of the insanely uber conservative establishment, that manufactured narcossis of self deception so easily seen as the slave chains holding that quadrant of society to despair, and evil.  I was glad to leave.

(originally published June 2011)

2 comments:

  1. Just came across this again. I spent a night in Durango with my church group many years ago, and went through there again in the early Nineties. At those times I didn't notice the Stepford Wives qualities you did. Maybe I wasn't woke then; maybe I was sort of living in Stepford myself... or maybe there is something about Durango specifically...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was on the tourist side of town... they were feeding what they expected would be expected...

      Delete